Monday, August 27, 2012

I hate business meetings. And why I have to go to them.


Saturday night my homegroup had a business meeting. I shrugged it off with the “have to get home to my little one” excuse that I use pretty much every month for every homegroup I’ve ever been in.  I don’t like business meetings for a multitude of reasons. One being the time, after I’ve sat through a meeting for an hour I don’t want to sit for longer. I find business meetings bring out personalities and often I just don’t feel like dealing with it. So when my friend looked at me with dismay as I sputtered on about how I didn’t really want to be a member of the group anyway, but I had to have a homegroup, I started to feel bad. I wasn’t being willing. I wasn’t giving myself completely to the program.  I got into a funk about it. So on Sunday I went to another meeting and shared my feelings on business meetings with a man who’s got some more time than I do. He shared that he hates business meetings to, but we have to go because this program saved our lives so what’s another hour or so once a month. He said just go every other month. But to definitely go sometimes. It turned it around for me. I’m not excited for business meetings and may never be, but I’m excited to be young and alive and sober.  I have always said I’ll fight for my chair in AA, so if it means business meetings, I have to do it.  And I'm grateful I’m not the only one who dislikes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment